Monday, November 30, 2009

Death By Turkey

November 26th is Thanksgiving Day in America...I honestly don't know the history behind thanksgiving (because I live in Australia!) However for an Australian celebrating Thanksgiving, it just feels like the 'pre-Christmas Celebration before the actual Christmas lunch/dinner on Christmas Day.'

My understanding is just an American tradition to stuff your face with turkey, stuffing, desserts, drinks and sharing time with dear family and friends from
all over the USA or anywhere in the world. Okay so like I said I don't know the American history of Thanksgiving...but as far as I know it was some kinda tea ceremony somewhere in the east coast of America and some other place and some Indians...yea something like that. Hrm..I may have too google what Thanksgiving is.

I was sharing the bedroom w/ my cousin and I hear the alarm go at 6am, to help out with the turkey...then Uncle Joseph thought it was too early to start so they started cooking round 730am....while they were doing that, I was still asleep then my alarm goes off round 830am. Auntie Beth wen into my room and said that I can go back to sleep and they can wake me up when its closer to eat....so I re-setted my alarm again to 1030am and then watched the TV in bed, watching George Lopez, some random movie before Michelle came upstairs to tell me to switch it to channel 7 - The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City live....then I slept again.....

1030am..alarm goes, I get up, have a shower and greet my Uncle, Auntie and cousins Michelle and Josh...MMmmmm the turkey smells so goodddddddddd! I laze around for a while before Josh and Michelle's sister Lucia arrives.

1200pm..lunchtime..nope not just yet, Michelle and Uncle Joseph busily mixing, adding etc to whatever they were cooking and I go and help Auntie Beth set the table..oh gosh my stomach is going to eat itself. I didn't even have
any breakfast because I was waiting ever so patiently for lunch.

130pm...nope still not eating..stomachs churning and grumbling actually all of us were so hungry that we started either picking on some food to nibble on or eating a traditional filipino snack made out of rice and chocolate coated poulveron (powdered sweet snack). Then round about 230pm we finally ate.

Had to say what part of the turkey we wanted, I wanted the 'drumstick' - turkey legs and was my favourite part of the turkey YUM. It was HUGE (do see my DC album on Facebook if you want to see how big the turkey leg is). Had
salad, mashed potatoes (it was delcious!), sweet potatoes, cranberry jelly/sauce, gravey, beans, corn oh how delicious it was....30mins in the meal we were all getting full. Despite that we still nibbled on bits of the turkey, corn beans etc to the point were we couldn't eat no longer. YES Thanksgiving is stuffing your face until you actually die!
From all the turkey and food. It was a stuggle to get up from the chair. Joshua started playing the his PC game, Auntie Beth went downstairs in the basement, talking on the phone (then passing out on the couch there), Uncle Joseph watching the NFL while Lucia, Michelle and I were still in the dining room, talking and didn't want to get out of our chairs for another
40mins. OH MY so full...I quietly died.

Josh later played the wii Resort and Godfather and then Lucia, Michelle and I finally went slowly to the living room to watch Josh play some wii before watching tv. We were all talking before we slowly, like dominos passed out....
zzzzz......I woke up intermittently to see who survived....Josh just quietly playing the Godfather, Uncle and Auntie asleep upstairs and Lucia and Michelle on the chair and couche respectively - asleep....then I went back to sleep
again.

We all woke up round 730ish pm, still full we all went out to D.C to go night sightseeing of the Lincoln Memorial,
Thomas Jefferson monument and a drive round DC, before heading back home...for more food T-T

...I still died....

Until then

Adios

Vx

No comments:

Post a Comment