Monday, November 23, 2009

The Big Apple Baby!

I woke up early (if you call 9am early so I can venture out to the Big Apple. New the reception area there was coffee, bread buns and muffins (blueberry yum!) so I had a quick breakfast before I headed out. My journey started @ the Da Vinci Hotel - 56th street and with my trusty map (thank you so much New York map!) i followed the directions towards 42nd street! Times Square/Broadway. My aim was not to take any transportation except for walking. If I had more days in New York, I would have ventured in all the places, however since its a huge city, I only was in the top/mid part of Manhattan...but still I have walked a hell-of-a-lot estimated about 9hours of walking. I didn't think of getting taht good ol' metro or NY Taxi, but decided not to and be a cheapie instead. Hehehe.

It was amazing watching people. People watching - people going to work, exercising, people of all different age, race, last minute garbage collecting, and of course people like me - tourist, taking snap shots and videos of this great city. Some people trying to entice me to take the New York Sightseeing Double Decker bus, I say 'No, thank you' and kept walking and snapping away there (with my camera that is). I reach Times Square..Wow! Wicked! Mixture of all the moving advertising billboards and broadway of new shows such as "Shrek the Musical," "Chicago," "Mary Poppins" and many more. I wish I went to watch a show, but time was pressing on me so I needed to see more of New York. Later I went to the PABT - Port Authority Bus Terminal which had the closest Post Office to send postcards, then after headed back to 40th street and ended up at Byrant Park. A small park it is nice as it also had some li' stalls and food/drink stalls and an ice rink, where I also took more photos and brought a nice Hot Chocolate from a stall called Choco Loco..yum!

I lookrf sy my yimr sfn iy esd only 10am, gosh time's going s-l-o-w, then I ventured onto 5th street to see the St Peter's Cathedral. it's such a beautiful church, I went in and sat quietly and say my prayers for a bit (okay I seldomly go to church, however at times I just need to take some time to say a prayer every now and again) then after decided to lok for the famous Trump Tower (..which I couldn't then realised I passed it - idiot) but eventually ended up at the world's #1 park Central Park. Again it is a HUGE park and I am bummed I couldn't see the Strawberry Fields section, but the part I was reminded me of some parts from movies such as Home Alone 2: Lost in New York and Kate and Leopald so I probably stayed for at least 1hr strolling along Central Park, watching more people taking photos, jogging, walking their dogs, walking with their children, ice skating etc, then afterwards I left Central Park then headed back to the city. I ended up on 5th Avenue (well known for shopping esp. Louis Vutton, Tiffany and Co, Abercombie & Finch and co) posh shopping really and while looking round I did eventually find Trump Towers (yes Donald Trumps building) and had a look inside....Oooooo posh!

I was getting rather peckish...but alas I had to go into the stores on 5th avenue. OMG the stores are just like one big Myer Centre...just imagine Myers had its own store but no other stores inside..it was big! Apple Store was awesome! I loved it so I ended up looking at Facebook on one of their MACS on display and when the shop assistant said 'enjoy your day' I said to her the store is awesome! Another example is Abercombie & Finch, inside looked like a nightclub, dimmed lights and the music (dance mixes of old 90s er dance music). It was really incredible inside, yes I had to buy something (or 2) in there...and the spending started from there!

I later went to the NBA, Yankee Store and some others before going to the Rockerfeller Center,..oh yea I was hungry! I went over to TGIFridays where I had Jack Daniels Spare Ribs with fries. It was YUM! Then my last stop the Empire state building. $US20 to go up the Observatory Deck and reached I think 100something stories, the view from the top was breathtaking... and cold..very windy! I must have spent a good one hour before souviner shopping and then dinner at MacDonalds opposite. On the way back to 56th street (and a long way) I saw Macy's and OMG VICTORIA SECRETS. The shop's amazing. It wasn't only lingere, there was comectics, perfumes, sleep wear for women..even if you don't buy anything its just nice to have a look around.

I looked at some other stores but I had to resist or else I wouldn't have any more funds to spend in DC, Jacksonville or L.A. Headed home and now packed and ready for my next adventure in Springfield, Virginia and the capita city - Washington DC

Until then...

Adios

V x

No comments:

Post a Comment