Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Spanish Ole!

A night before my first Spanish Language Class. I am excited to learn Spanish. Apart from dating the other half who speaks spanish, I have wanted to learn spanish since I was doing flamenco dancing in 1992 - 1994. I guess i got inspired to dance spanish post- Barcelona 1992 Olympic Games...and randomly on my St Mary's Primary Schoolin New Zealand (still living in New Zealand at that time) notice there was an advertisement of learning flamenco.

Anyway not dragging on about it, I was fascinated in the Spanish culture...well guessing due to the fact that my hertiage has Spanish influence. I remember going to the library & borrowing the Spanish picture book over and over to learn some words. Obvioiusly 'gracias,' 'hola,' 'adios,' got stuck in my head :P i even wanted to do spanish language..and then later after i quit flamenco (due to moving to australia), my spanish facination slowly died down.

When my family & i moved to Australia in 1998 i was again interested to do flamenco dancing. I wasn't sure if there was any classes. I did manage to find one but never ever went...over the years i kept procrastinating...however.... i managed to watch a few spanish/flamenco shows either by myself @ the QPAC or with family at the Powerhouse. The one @ the Powerhouse was a dinner and show and it was fantastic! Loved it. So powerful, sensual, just WOW!It made me want to do flamenco again.

I did eventually do dancing in 2007 (that fact that since i lived in australia i finished school, uni, work and procrastinating in dancing! hahaha) i did mad dance house hip hop classes, however i was itching to do flamenco...SO....2009 january i did my first class in flamenco absolute beginners class. So good! I can't wait to go back to flamenco after easter.

Ahora! back to language...Lani & Julie B are also doing Spanish Class. Even though i won't be heading to South America with them in June/July or wherever they are going for serveral months, i will be learning with them.
So excited and nervous at the same time! For the meantime i listen to Spanish Podcast, go online on busuu.com or studyspanish.com, a couple spanish cds, music i.e. Enrique Iglesias y Shakira and spanish books. I admit i do find it hard but hey keep practicing then i'll get the hang of it. :D I still make mistakes just the way i word things, but yes learning from mistakes.

I know mi madre knows un poco espanol, y mi amigos de facebook :D can help and of coure mi novio.

Okay hasta luego

V xx



2 comments:

  1. Hey!
    I recommend you listen to spanishpod.com
    Let us know what u think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gracias liliana...i have and do have it on my ipod. i love it. v. funny and great small facts about latin america etc. again gracias!

    ReplyDelete